bits from bob....
Did Anything Happen?
by Robert J. Young
©, 2002, Robert J. Young
[permission is given to reprint with credit noted]
When man looks at the work of God, he frequently concludes, "Nothing has happened." Because God uses tiny beginnings and seemingly insignificant events, man often misses God's workings. Because God's dynamic is quiet and often invisible, man's search for the bold and splashy ignores the real power. Because spiritual people discern spiritual things, man often fails to see God's ways.
For two months, this church has diligently searched--with prayer and fasting--for additional elders. The process has ended with the three men who currently serve as our shepherds reaffirmed but with no additional men selected. Some may conclude, "Nothing happened."
I see it differently. Something did happen! The process was not fruitless.
- (1) We, our children, visitors, and those around us were reminded that what the Bible says does matter to us. We were guided by the Word of God.
- (2) We were reminded that there are capable, spiritual men among us who guided us through the process when our present elders asked to be removed from the process.
- (3) Numerous men and families examined themselves to ask, "Am I a leader? Am I ready to lead?" Spiritual growth resulted, areas of weakness were identified, strengthening has begun.
- (4) We were reminded that God raises up leaders. We respond to God. God will raise up additional leaders for this church, but we must remember that the timetable is his.
- (5) We were reminded of the value of spiritual leaders. Have you thanked God for the good men who shepherd this flock?
Some may conclude, "Nothing happened." I believe something happened and that "God works all things together for good."
Go to Articles Index
Last updated January 7, 2002.